Director: David Fincher
A serial killer in the San Francisco Bay Area taunts police with his letters and cryptic messages. We follow the investigators and reporters in this lightly fictionalized account of the true 1970's case as they search for the murderer, becoming obsessed with the case. Based on Robert Graysmith's book, the movie's focus is the lives and careers of the detectives and newspaper people.
- Robert Downey Jr. [Paul Avery]
- Elias Koteas [Sgt. Jack Mulanax]
- John Carroll Lynch [Arthur Leigh Allen]
- Charles Schneider [Paul Stine]
- The Zodiac case was re-opened after the release of the film.
- The film was shot in one hundred ten days.
- Initially David Fincher wanted to cast Brad Pitt as Avery, before he settled on Robert Downey Jr.
- Jake Gyllenhaal shares one of the film's creepiest scenes with Charles Fleischer. In real-life, the two have known each other since Gyllenhaal was three years old.
- The two leads, Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo, don't share a scene until thirty-two minutes and thirty-seven seconds into the film.
- The murder victims' costumes were meticulously recreated from forensic evidence that was lent to the production.
- Actually Zodiac survivor Bryan Hartnell (portrayed by Patrick Scott Lewis) appeared as an extra in the film.