The Neon Demon (2016)
Director: Nicholas Winding Refn
A sixteen year-old aspiring model named Jesse (Elle Fanning) arrives in Los Angeles hoping to become a successful model. Aspiring photographer Dean (Karl Glusman) takes photos for her portfolio and dates her. Jesse befriends lesbian makeup artist Ruby (Jena Malone) and envious models Gigi (Bella Heathcote) and Sarah (Abbey Lee) at a party. Meanwhile the agency considers Jesse beautiful with a "thing" that makes her different and she is sent to the professional photographer Jack (Desmond Harrington). Jesse attracts he attention of the industry and has a successful beginning of career. But Ruby, Gigi and Sarah are willing to do anything to get her "thing".
Male Deaths Edit
Female Deaths Edit
- Keanu Reeves improvised the line "Room Two-Fourteen! Gotta be seen!"
- Elle Fanning reveals in the movie's commentary, that she kept her eyes open for so long for the opening shot, that her contact lenses were burned onto her eyes by the hot lights.
- Throughout production, when filming was to resume, Nicolas Winding Refn wouldn't yell "Action!" to set things in motion. Instead he yelled "Violence, motherf*****s".
- The second film by Nicolas Winding Refn to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival that received booing and cheering after the press showing. The first film was Only God Forgives (2013).
- One of the film's most striking features is its use of color. In an interview, Director Nicolas Winding Refn stated that he is in fact color blind, and can only perceive contrast and primary colors.