Director: Peter Jackson
A meek hobbit of the Shire and eight companions set out on a journey to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring and the dark lord Sauron.
List still incomplete
- Sean Bean (Boromir)
- Lawrence Makoare (Lurtz)
- Ian McKellen (Gandalf the Grey)
- Peter McKenzie (Elendil)
- Martyn Sanderson (Gate Keeper)
- Harry Sinclair (Isildur)
- Sir Christopher Lee (Saruman) read "The Lord of the Rings" once a year until his death in 2015, and had done so since the year it was published. He was also the only member of the cast and crew ever to have met J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Gandalf's painful encounter with a ceiling beam in Bilbo's hobbit-hole was not in the script. Sir Ian McKellen banged his forehead against the beam accidentally. Peter Jackson thought McKellen did a great job "acting through" the mistake, and kept it in.
- Viggo Mortensen did his own stunts. He also insisted on using only the real steel sword, instead of a significantly lighter aluminum sword, or safer rubber sword, which were manufactured for battle scenes and stunts.
- John Rhys-Davies (Gimli the dwarf) is the tallest of the actors, who play members of the Fellowship. He is 6' 1".
- Orlando Bloom landed the role of Legolas two days before he finished drama school.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.