Joaquin Phoenix (1974 - )
- Return to Paradise (1998) [Lewis McBride]: Executed by hanging by the Malaysian government, on a drug charge.
- 8mm (1999) [Max California]: Throat slit by Chris Bauer (having been pinned to a post with crossbow bolts) while Nicolas Cage looks on helplessly.
- Gladiator (2000) [Commodus]: Stabbed in the throat with his own dagger by the mortally-wounded Russell Crowe at the end of a battle in the arena. (Since Russell Crowe's character never actually existed. the historical fact is that Commodus was strangled in his bathtub by a wrestler after a long reign).
- It's All About Love (2003) [John]: Frozen to death while trying to make his way to safety with Claire Danes.
- Ladder 49 (2004) [Jack Morrison]: Burned to death (or dies of smoke inhalation) after being trapped in a burning building that collapses around him; the scene cuts away to a scene of John Travolta informing Jacinda Barrett of Joaquin's death.
- Walk the Line (2005) [Johnny Cash]: Dies (off-screen) of diabetes-related illness; the movie ends before his death, but it is mentioned in the on-screen text at the end.
- Irrational Man (2015) [Professor Abe Lucas]: Accidentally falls to his death down an elevator shaft when he slips on a flashlight while trying to push Emma Stone into the shaft.
- You Were Never Really Here (2017) [Joe]: Commits suicide by shooting himself in the head while sitting at a dinner. (This turns out to be Phoenix fantasy and he survives in reality).
- Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018) [John Callahan]: Dies (off-screen) of respiratory problems and complications from his quadriplegia; his death is mentioned in the closing text when a photo of the real John Callahan appears.
- Mary Magdalene (2018) [Jesus Christ]: Dies by crucificition, as Rooney Mara looks on; he is resurrected three days later, and speaks to Rooney.
- None Known
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.