James Cromwell (1940 - )
- Eraser (1996) [William Donohue]: Commits suicide by shooting himself in the mouth after he finds out that Vanessa L. Williams has been exposing his criminal activities (from a hidden camera). (Thanks to Rick)
- L.A. Confidential (1997) [Captain Dudley Smith]: Shot in the back with a shotgun by Guy Pearce as James starts to walk away after the big shoot-out.
- Species II (1998) [Senator Judson Ross]: Stabbed/impaled by a tentacle when his son (Justin Lazard) starts to transform into an alien while embracing him (his body is later seen when Michael Madsen discovers him sprawled on the ground).
- The Green Mile (1999) [Warden Hal Moores]: Dies (off-screen) during the passage of time between the flashback scenes and the present-day framing sequence; his death is mentioned when Dabbs Greer lists his friends who have died.
- I, Robot (2004) [Dr. Alfred Lanning]: Thrown out of a window by a robot (Alan Tudyk) after James orders it to do so. (Thanks to Neil)
- Tortured (2008) [Jack]: Suddenly shot to death by Laurence Fishburne as James is talking to Cole Hauser.
- Surrogates (2009) [Dr. Lionel Canter]: Commits suicide by swallowing a cyanide pill, while Bruce Willis desperately tries to save him.
- Soldiers of Fortune (2012) [Samuel Haussman]: Killed in an explosion, when James decides to sacrifice himself and shoot a flammable canister after being mortally wounded in a gunfight against Colm Meaney's men.
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) [Benjamin Lockwood]: Smothered in his bed with a cushion (off-screen) by Rafe Spall; we only see his amber cane shattering on the floor. We see his body later when his cloned daughter (Isabella Sermon) discovers it, and again when Rafe pretends to "find" James before showing it to Geraldine Chaplin.
- The Laundromat (2019) :
- All in the Family: Stretch Cunningham, Goodbye (1977) [Stretch Cunningham]: Although James did not actually appear in this episode, it dealt with his character's (off-screen) death and funeral.
- Amazing Stories: One for the Road (1986) [Francis]: A newspaper headline states that James (along with co-conspirators Joe Pantoliano, Geoffrey Lewis and Al Ruscio) was sentenced to death for the attempted murder of Douglas Seale.
- Jake and the Fatman: It Never Entered My Mind (1991) [Russell Havilland]: Struck over the head by Mark L. Taylor during a struggle in James' office.
- A Slight Case of Murder (A Travesty) (1999) [John Edgerson]: Bludgeoned to death with a hammer by William H. Macy in William's apartment; the scene cuts away just as William brings the hammer down.
- ER: The Crossing (2001) [Bishop Stewart]: Dies of complications from diabetes. (Thanks to Neil)
- Salem's Lot (2004 mini-series) [Father Callahan]: Fatally injured in a fall during a struggle with Rob Lowe.
- Six Feet Under: Everyone's Waiting (2005) [George Sibley]: Dies (off-screen), presumably of natural causes, at some point between the 2025 epilogue and the 2030 epilogue. (Thanks to PortsGuy)
- 24: Day 6: 4:00 a.m.-5:00 a.m. (2007) [Phillip Bauer]: Killed in an explosion when the oil rig he's on is destroyed by a missile strike.
- Impact (2008 TV; mini series) [Lloyd]: Dies of his injuries sustained in a car crash later on while talking to his grandchildren (Owen Best & Natasha Calis). With his body is later seen when onlookers find them crying over his body. (Note: this is not the theatrical 1998 film Deep Impact, which James had appeared in).
- American Horror Story: Asylum; The Name Game (2013) [Dr. Arthur Arden]: Commits suicide by burning himself alive with Lily Rabe's body as he's cremating her.
- Ex-Mr. Julie Cobb.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.