Jake Gyllenhaal (1980 - )
- Donnie Darko (2001) [Donnie Darko]: Crushed to death when an airplane engine falls through the roof of his bedroom, after he manipulates time to prevent the "tangent universe" from occurring.
- The Good Girl (2002) [Tom 'Holden' Worther]: Commits suicide off-screen by shooting himself during a stand-off with police at his hotel room; we learn of his death afterwards on a TV news report, and his body is shown lying on the bed afterwards.
- Brokeback Mountain (2005) [Jack Twist]: Either accidentally killed when a tire explodes while he's changing it (the scenario reported by Anne Hathaway) or beaten to death with a tire iron by a group of men (the scenario visualized by Heath Ledger). It's suggested that Anne's explanation is a lie, but it's also possible that her report is accurate and that Heath is imagining a different reason for Jake's death.
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) [Dastan]: Commits suicide by stabbing himself in the chest with the dagger, in order to prove both his innocence and the dagger's power to his brother, Richard Coyle. His death is undone when Richard uses the dagger to prevent Jake from stabbing himself.
- Source Code (2011) [Colter Stevens]: Dies after Vera Farmiga cuts off his life support. Jake also dies several times as he repeats a train bombing through Jeffrey Wright's source code invention (as he assumes Frederick De Grandpre's role). There is one death that diverts from the repetition where Jake is shot by Michael Arden, another where he is accidentally pushed in front of an oncoming train by Cas Anver and its implied that an alternate universe version of Jake survives when he stops the bomb from exploding.
- Enemy (2013) [Adam Bell/Anthony Claire]: Playing a dual role, "Anthony" is killed in a car accident, along with Melanie Laurent, when he loses control of the wheel while quarreling with Melanie.
- Everest (2015) [Scott Fischer]: Dies on the South East Ridge, possibly due to altitude sickness but mainly due to exposure to the elements. His body is later seen as Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson discovers him before covering his face with his backpack.
- Nocturnal Animals (2016) [Tony Hastings/Edward Sheffield]: Playing a dual role as writer "Edward" and his character "Tony" in the novel he has sent to Amy Adams, "Tony" dies after he accidentally shoots himself in the gut when he falls onto his gun in the desert ("Edward" survives the film).
- Life (2017) [Dr. David Jordan]: Consumed by the alien Calvin off screen shortly after the story ends. As the movie is ending, Gyllenhaal is attempting to stop fishers from opening his escape pod as Calvin is slowly eating him, so his death is imminent.
- The Sisters Brothers (2018) [John Morris]: Commits suicide by shooting himself in the head with a pistol given to him by Joaquin Phoenix in order to escape the pain of his acid burns, which were inadvertedly caused by Joaquin. HIs body is seen again when John C. Reilly comes across it.
- Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) [Morf Vanderwalt]: Neck snapped by Mark Steger (playing a robotic art installation possessed by the spirit of Alan Mandell).
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) [Quentin Beck/Mysterio]: Accidentally shot by one of his drones during his fight with Tom Holland. He dies after trying and failing to shoot Tom.
- Son of Stephen Gyllenhaal (director) and Naomi Foner (screenwriter).
- Brother of Maggie Gyllenhaal.
- Brother in law of Peter Sarsgaard.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.