Hume Cronyn (1911 - 2003)
- The Cross of Lorraine (1943) [Andre Duval]: Shot to death by Nazi guards when he runs out into the POW camp yard in panic after the other prisoners threaten to kill him.
- Brute Force (1947) [Captain Munsey]: Thrown from the burning guardtower and into the prison yard by Burt Lancaster during a jailbreak.
- Hamlet (1964) [Polonius]: Stabbed to death through a curtain by Richard Burton, who had mistaken him for Alfred Drake. (I haven't seen this version, but we all know the story...)
- The Parallax View (1974) [Bill Rintels]: Poisoned (off-screen) by Bill McKinney, using a drug (in his food) that simulates a heart attack; his body is shown sitting in his office afterwards. (Thanks to Janet)
- The World According to Garp (1982) [Mr. Fields]: My memory of this movie is vague, but I believe he died of a heart attack after an argument with his daughter (Glenn Close).
- Brewster's Millions (1985) [Uncle Rupert Horn]: Dies (off-screen) of old age/natural causes, shortly before the story begins. He only appears in a filmed will that he leaves for Richard Pryor.
- Cocoon: The Return (1988) [Joseph 'Joe' Finley]: Dies of cancer, after using up his alien-given 'life force' to heal Jessica Tandy after she'd been hit by a car. (Thanks to Stephen)
- The Pelican Brief (1993) [Supreme Court Justice Rosenberg]: Shot in the head by Stanley Tucci in his hospital room, as Hume is on oxygen.