Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Directed by Rupert Sanders
In the near future, Major (Scarlett Johansson) is the first of her kind: a human who is cyber-enhanced to be a perfect soldier devoted to stopping the world's most dangerous criminals. When terrorism reaches a new level that includes the ability to hack into people's minds and control them, Major is uniquely qualified to stop it. As she prepares to face a new enemy in the form of fellow cyborg and dissident anarchist Kuze (Michael Pitt), once a peaceful protest leader now an arch-terrorist, out to avenge the cruel barbaric experiments done to him and his fellow test subjects. Major soon discovers through her new foe, that her life was stolen instead of saved. Now, she will stop at nothing to recover her past while punishing those who did this to her.
- Mana Hira Davis (Bearded Man)
- Daniel Henshall (Skinny Man\"Lee")
- Peter Ferdinando (Cutter)
- John Luafutu (Barkeep)
- Michael Pitt (Kuze)
- Michael Wincott (Dr. Osmund)
- Rila Fukushima (Robot Geisha)
- Anamaria Marinca (Dahlin)
- Natarsha Orsman (Quelet's Assistant)
- Juliette Binoche (Dr. Ouélet)
- Several scenes in this film are exact in visual comparison to the original Ghost in the Shell (1995). Even some parts shown in the city are exact re-creations of the original artwork.
- Filmed in Wellington, New Zealand
- In an establishing shot of the city, a Pan Am advert can be seen in the top left. The bankrupt airlines inclusion is a reference to Blade Runner (1982) which also had an in-film advert for them.
- Margot Robbie was considered for the role of Major.