Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Director: Stanley Kubrick
A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the Vietnam War has on his fellow recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting in Hue.
- Vincent D'Onofrio [Pvt. Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence]
- R. Lee Ermey [Gunnery Sgt. Hartman]
- Dorian Harewood [Pvt. Eightball]
- Duc Hu Ta [Dead NVA]
- Arliss Howard [Pvt. Cowboy]
- Ed O'Ross [Lt. Touchdown]
- Jon Stafford [Pvt. Doc Jay]
- Ngoc Le [Viet Cong Sniper]
- The movie was #2 on Gene Siskel 's list of the "Best Films of 1987."
- During filming, a family of rabbits were accidentally killed. Stanley Kubrick, an animal lover, was so upset that he canceled the rest of the day's work.
- R. Lee Ermey hardly blinks at all in any scene.
- Vincent D'Onofrio gained 70 pounds for his role as Pvt. Pyle, breaking Robert De Niro's movie weight-gain record (60 pounds) for Raging Bull (1980). It took him seven months to put the weight on and nine months to take it off with physical training.
- R. Lee Ermey went to director Stanley Kubrick and asked for the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann. In his opinion, the actors on the set were not up to snuff. When Kubrick declined, Ermey barked an order for Kubrick to stand up when he was spoken to, and the director instinctively obeyed. Ermey got the role.
- Bill McKinney was considered for the role of Gny. Sgt. Hartman, but Stanley Kubrick refused to cast him, because he was terrified of his character in Deliverance (1972).