Free Guy (2020)
A bank teller discovers that he's actually an NPC inside a brutal, open world video game.
- Release Date was pushed back from June during the summer blockbusters to December for the Christmas films due to Covid-19 Pandemic
- NPC is short for 'non-playing character', in computer games. Alternatively known as Non Player Character, signifying that the character is computer code, rather than being controlled by a human.
- The movie is set in a fictional, intra-video-game locale called Free City. Its teaser trailer opens with an establishing shot of what is visibly Pittsburgh, however, and its remainder appears to have been filmed in the Boston area. Local landmarks such as Faneuil Hall and the 75 State Street complex are clearly visible.
- Included in the 2016 Black List of "most liked" scripts.
- Joe Keery previously worked with director Shawn Levy on Stranger Things (2016)
- According to the Hollywood Reporter, famous YouTube gamer celebrities are set to make cameo roles in this film. Gamer stars like Tyler "Ninja" Blevins, Imane "Pokimane" Anys, and Lannan "LazarBeam" Eacott will appear as themselves while Seán "Jacksepticeye" McLoughlin will voice the video game character Q*bert in a scene where Guy and Molotov get him from a download.
- Ryan Reynolds & Taika Waititi previously co-starred together in Green Lantern (2011).
- This is the second time Ryan Reynolds has played a character named Guy. The first time was in the animated film "The Croods".
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.