The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
Emil Jannings (1884 - 1950)
First actor to win an Academy Award for Best Actor
Film Deaths[edit | edit source]
- The Eyes of the Mummy (Die Augen der Mumie Ma) (1918) [Radu]: Commits suicide by stabbing himself (off-camera) after killing Pola Negri; the movie cuts from a shot of Emil holding his knife to a shot of his body lying on the floor.
- Madame DuBarry (Passion) (1919) [King Louis XV]: Dies of smallpox.
- Danton (All for a Woman) (1921) [Danton]: Presumably executed by the guillotine. (I haven't seen this movie myself, but I'm familiar with the historical events.)
- Othello (1922) [Othello]: Commits suicide by stabbing himself. (I haven't seen this version, but I'm familiar with the play.)
- The Last Command (1928) [General Dolgorucki/Grand Duke Sergius Alexander]: Dies of a heart attack while making a dramatic speech.
- The Patriot (1928) [Czar Paul I]: Killed by Harry Cording and Lewis Stone in Emil's bedroom. (No complete prints of this film are known to exist, though there are a few surviving excerpts.)
- Street of Sin (1928) [Basher Bill]: Killed in the crossfire of a shoot-out between the gang and the police. (No prints of this film are known to exist.)
- The Blue Angel (Der Blaue Engel) (1930) [Professor Immanuel Rath]: Dies (off-screen) of natural causes (presumably connected to his poverty and despair) after sneaking into his old classroom; his body is shown afterwards when the night watchman discovers him slumped over his old desk.
Notable connections[edit | edit source]
- Ex-Mr. Hanna Ralph
- Ex-Mr. Lucie Höflich
- Ex-Mr. Gussy Holl
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.