The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
Denzel Washington (1954 - )
Deaths in Films[edit | edit source]
- Cry Freedom (1987) [Steve Biko]: Dies of kidney failure resulting from a brain injury while in police custody; his body is shown again later on in the morgue when Kevin Kline and Juanita Waterman view the body.
- For Queen and Country (1988) [Reuben James]: Shot by a police sniper, who was also one of his old army comrades (the scene shows him in the crosshairs and a gunshot is heard right when it blackens out to show the credits).
- Glory (1989) [Private Trip]: Shot in the chest by Confederate soldiers while storming the fort; his body is shown again after the battle as all the bodies are put in a mass grave, with Denzel lying next to Matthew Broderick. (Thanks to Gary)
- Heart Condition (1990) [Napoleon Stone]: Shot to death; he appears as a ghost throughout the rest of the movie after his heart is transplanted into Bob Hoskins.
- Malcolm X (1992) [Malcom X]: Shot to death by Giancarlo Esposito Wendell Pierce & Leonard L. Thomas while Denzels starts to deliver a speech.
- The Preacher's Wife (1996) [Dudley]: Dies off-screen under unspecified circumstances before the start of the film. He appears throughout the film as an angel.
- Fallen (1998) [John Hobbes]: Commits suicide by smoking a poison-laced cigarette, as part of a plan to destroy the demon by tricking it into possessing his dying body.
- Training Day (2001) [Detective Sergeant Alonzo Harris]: Shot to death with machine gun fire by members of the Russian mafia in the street while Denzel is trying to escape in his car. His death is later heard on the radio when Ethan Hawke arrives home at the end of the movie.
- Man on Fire (2004) [John W. Creasy]: Shot in the chest by Gero Camilo; he dies shortly afterwards after surrendering himself and Gero to Gustavo Sanchez Parro in exchange for Dakota Fanning's release. (The DVD also contains an alternate ending where Denzel commits suicide by blowing himself and Gustavo up using an explosive device he had concealed inside his rectum)
- Deja Vu (2006) [Douglas Carlin]: Killed in an explosion when he sacrifices himself by driving James Caviezel's bomb away from its target, after going back in time to prevent the bombing; his "past-self" counterpart survives the movie.
- The Book of Eli (2010) [Eli]: Shot in the stomach by Gary Oldman; he dies off-screen shortly after making his way to Alcatraz and dictating the King James Bible to Malcolm McDowell to be transcribed for posterity.
- Safe House (2012) [Tobin Frost]: Shot in the back by Brendan Gleeson; he dies shortly afterwards while talking to Ryan Reynolds.
- Fences (2016) [Troy Maxson]: Dies of a heart attack off-screen. Denzel's death is revealed when Viola Davis explains the details to Jovan Adepo before attending his funeral.
- Roman J. Israel, Esq. (2017) [Roman J. Israel]: Shot to death off-camera by Just N Case in the streets. The scene cuts away after Denzel receives a call on his cell phone to the sound of a gunshot as Colin Farrell stops dead in his tracks before he can reach Denzel. His body is not shown. Only a low angle shot of his briefcase is seen on the ground as Colin discovers his lifeless body.
- The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) [Lord Macbeth]:
TV Deaths[edit | edit source]
- None Known
Notable Connections[edit | edit source]
- Mr. Pauletta Pearson Washington.
- Cousin of Ukee Washington.
- Father of John David Washington, Katia Washington, Malcolm Washington and Olivia Washington.
- Son of Denzel Hayes Washington Sr. and Lennis "Lynne" Washington.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.