Director: Zack Snyder
Summary[edit | edit source]
It's been nearly two years since Superman's (Henry Cavill) colossal battle with Zod (Michael Shannon) devastated the city of Metropolis. The loss of life and collateral damage left many feeling angry and helpless, including crime-fighting billionaire Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck). Convinced that Superman is now a threat to humanity, Batman embarks on a personal vendetta to end his reign on Earth, while the conniving Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) launches his own crusade against the Man of Steel.
Male Deaths[edit | edit source]
- Michael Cassidy (III) [Jimmy Olsen]
- Henry Cavill [Clark Kent / Superman]
- Robin Atkin Downes [Doomsday]
- Hugh Maguire [Jack O' Dwyer]
- Scoot McNairy [Wallace Keefe]
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan [Thomas Wayne]
- Callan Mulvey [Anatoli Knyazev]
- Dennis North [Senator Barrows]
- Michael Shannon [General Zod] (appears as a corpse)
- Sebastian Sozzi [Cesar Santos]
Female Deaths[edit | edit source]
- Lauren Cohan [Martha Wayne]
- Holly Hunter [Senator Finch]
- Wunmi Mosaku [Kahina Ziri] (Ultimate Edition only)
- Tao Okamoto [Mercy Graves]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Superman only had 42 lines of dialogue throughout the entire movie.
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan was considered for the role of Bruce Wayne a.k.a. Batman. He was subsequently given the role of Thomas Wayne, Bruce's father.
- Ben Affleck gained an additional twenty pounds of muscle and reached eight percent body fat for his role as Bruce Wayne a.k.a. Batman.
- In an interview with Jimmy Fallon, Ben Affleck said he was warned by Warner Bros. about the possible negative reaction to his casting, and was advised to remain off the Internet after the casting announcement. He also said to assuage his concerns, the studio showed him negative comments that fans had initially made to previous superhero castings. Affleck said in spite of the studio warnings, he still checked out an online message board. The first comment he read was, "Affleck as Batman? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" After seeing that, he immediately went offline.
- The film was originally pitched in August 2001 by Andrew Kevin Walker, with Wolfgang Petersen to direct, and Akiva Goldsman to script. Goldsman's script had Bruce Wayne's fiancée slain by the Joker, which sends him on a revenge rampage and brings him into conflict with Superman, who tries to stop him. The film was shelved, but in Goldsman's I Am Legend (2007), a teaser poster for the film (the Superman shield inside a bat) was seen in the opening scene. It was rumored at the time, that George Clooney would be playing Batman (reprising his role from Batman & Robin (1997), and John Travolta would be playing Superman.