Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)
Directed by Drew Goddard
In 1959, a fugitive robber Felix O'Kelly (Nick Offerman) stashes loot from a heist gone wrong beneath the floor boards of The El Royale, a run-down hotel that sits on the border between California and Nevada, filled with secret passageways, two way mirrors and each room bugged with recording devices. A decade on, it soon becomes a seedy battleground when seven strangers; a dubious cleric (Jeff Bridges), a soul singer (Cynthia Erivo), a bogus traveling salesman (Jon Hamm) and two sisters (Dakota Johnson and Cailee Spaeny) on the run from a cult. Each one catered for by the lonely multitasked manager (Lewis Pullman), a closet junkie, tormented by his tragic military past. Then there's the mysterious, charismatic and lethal Billy Lee (Chris Hemsworth) out searching along with his followers for his missing members; all of them converging on a fateful night for one last shot at redemption before everything goes wrong.
- The El Royale is based on the famous Cal Neva Resort and Casino that was once owned by Frank Sinatra.
- Chris Hemsworth had to lose 25-30 lbs of muscle weight immediately after Avengers: Infinity War (2018) wrapped to star in this film.
- Drew Goddard's process of selling the script was under heavy secrecy, only sending it to top studio execs. Potential buyers had to read it on a tablet and then return it when finished.
- Russell Crowe was originally cast in a role. He eventually dropped out and was replaced by Jon Hamm.
- Jon Hamm [Laramie Seymour Sullivan/Dwight Broadbeck]
- Chris Hemsworth [Billy Lee]
- Manny Jacinto [Waring 'Wade' Espiritu]
- Synto D. Misati [Norris 'Roman' Kindel]
- Nick Offerman [Felix O'Kelly]
- Lewis Pullman [Miles Miller]
- Jonathan Whitesell [Chris 'Flicker' Grimes]
- Billy Wickman [Hutch Summerspring]
- Sophia Lauchlin Hirt [Annabell Czuchlewski]
- Dakota Johnson [Emily Summerspring]
- Cailee Spaeny [Rose Summerspring]