American Assassin (2017)
Director: Michael Cuesta
Twenty three-year-old Mitch (Dylan O'Brien) lost his parents to a tragic car accident at the age of fourteen, and his girlfriend (Charlotte Vega) to a terrorist attack just as they were engaged. Seeking revenge, he is enlisted by CIA Deputy Director Irene Kennedy (Sanaa Lathan) as a black ops recruit. Kennedy then assigns Cold War veteran Stan Hurley (Michael Keaton) to train Mitch. Together they will later on investigate a wave of apparently random attacks on military and civilian targets. The discovery of a pattern in the violence leads them to a joint mission with a lethal Turkish agent (Shiva Negar) to stop a mysterious operative (Taylor Kitsch) intent on starting a world war in the Middle East. Soon however it becomes clear that their intended mark shares a history with Stan who intends to lash out on those who left him out in the cold with a nuclear strike on a western target. But is Mitch out of his depth and time when faced with a foe whose skill and dedication matches his own.
- Unknown Actress 17-D (Character Name Unknown)
- Shiva Negar (Annika Ogden)
- Charlotte Vega (Katrina Harper)
- Göksun Çam (Sharif's Mistress)
- The lead role was offered to Chris Hemsworth, but he passed on the role due to scheduling issues.
- Young actor Dylan O'Brien won the part of 'Mitch Rapp' beating more established older actors. Being in his mid 20's, the hope is that the actor grows as the envisioned movie series progresses. Also, since 'American Assassin' is based on a prequel novel, it provides the opportunity to start at the very beginning of the Rapp characters' career.
- American Assassin is the 11th book in Vince Flynn's series, but the first book in chronological order.
- Principal photography began in London, Rome and Budapest in September 2016.